Xiaomi, the world’s fourth-largest smartphone brand, has announced that 80% of its supply chain is operational, ahead of its latest launch into the 5G phones market, the Redmi K30 Pro, due on March 24. The company has also reported zero COVID-19 infections at its Wuhan head office.
Yesterday, at an online meeting in China, President of Xiaomi, Wang Xiang, said the Group took immediate action to set up a prevention and control team after the first case of human-to-human transmission was confirmed. As well as introducing a series of initiatives to combat the spread of coronavirus, he said the company had provided assistance to the needy, maintained normal business operation and resumed production.
5G product launch strategy unchanged
“At the beginning of the outbreak, the whole industry turned still and quiet. Now, we all hope something positive can come out of this difficult time, which is why we decided to hold the product launch in February and show our determination to resume working. We believe the halt in production has affected results in the first quarter, as smartphones are essential devices, but the trend of a phone switch brought by 5G development is unstoppable. When the COVID-19 epidemic is contained, there will be a surge in demand for our products. We have not changed our 5G product launch strategy, and we expect at least 10 new 5G smartphone models to hit the market this year,” said Wang Xiang.
Zero COVID-19 infections
Xiaomi has reported that none of its 2,000 staff at its Wuhan head office have been infected. “Xiaomi has established a comprehensive mechanism for epidemic prevention and control, ensuring zero infection among its 2,000 employees in its Wuhan office as of today,” reads a statement released today.
80% work resumption rate
By providing all necessary materials and financial and legal assistance to its supply chain companies, Xiaomi has, as of today, an 80% work resumption rate of supply chain. This company say this ensures the launch of Redmi K30 Pro 5G phone will go smoothly, on March 24, as scheduled.
Supplies provided by Xiaomi to assist the work resumption of its supply chain and in turn maintaining the launch schedule of its 5G phones includes masks, protective suits, thermometers and disinfectants to factories.
Xiaomi has also revealed it provided cash incentive and financial assistance to help relieve the cash flow faced by its factories, as well as accelerate the recovery of production lines and capacities.
1,800 Xiaomi shops reopen
As of today, more than 1,800 Mi Home and Authorized Mi Stores in Mainland China have reopened.
“To ensure sufficient protection for frontline staff, Xiaomi has delivered a total of 234,000 face masks, 1,277 bottles of disinfectant, 7,402 bottles of instant hand sanitizer, 1,366 boxes of disposable gloves, 2,121 packages of disinfectant cotton and 1,270 thermometers to our stores so far,” said the company.
Xiaomi also responded quickly to its foreign employees and staff based in overseas offices. Measures to stop the spread of COVID-19 included travel control, a self-quarantine policy and the provision of protective materials.
In China, Xiaomi has donated supplies including Xiaomi Mi Pads, thermometers and smart washing machines to hospitals based in Hubei Province, as well as making “cash donations to various charity funds and organizations.”
During the past two weeks, Xiaomi has also provided donations to Italy, France and Spain, to help curb a shortage in the countries’ health materials. Additionally, this week, a batch of anti-epidemic materials, organized by Xiaomi and Wuhan University, arrived in South Korea.