Verizon has announced that there will be 13 NFL stadiums where its customers can connect to its 5G Ultra Wideband service.
However, Verizon has also added a caveat, claiming that 5G technology will only be available in “concentrated in parts of the seating areas but could be available in other locations in and around the stadium as well”. So not the whole stadium.
“Today’s announcement is a key moment in our partnership with the NFL,” explains Hans Vestberg, CEO at Verizon. “We’re proud to work with such an iconic organization to bring Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband service to fans across the country. We expect the impact on the sports entertainment industry to be massive - it promises to revolutionize the entire game-day experience for fans.”
Which NFL stadiums will have Verizon 5G?
One of the lucky 13 stadiums to be enabled for Verizon's 5G Ultra Wideband service will be the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida, which will play host to Super Bowl LIV on February 2, 2020.
“As we celebrate the NFL’s 100th season, we look forward to the day when Verizon will have their 5G Ultra Wideband service in the stadiums for all 32 NFL Clubs,” says Roger Goodell, Commissioner at the NFL. “Having this cutting-edge technology in our stadiums will greatly enhance the game-day experience and bring a multitude of benefits to our fans and clubs."
The list of stadiums provided by Verizon is as follows:
- Bank of America Stadium (Carolina Panthers)
- Empower Field at Mile High (Denver Broncos)
- CenturyLink Field (Seattle Seahawks)
- Ford Field (Detroit Lions)
- Gillette Stadium (New England Patriots)
- Hard Rock Stadium (Miai Dolphins)
- Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis Colts)
- MetLife Stadium (New York Giants and New York Jets)
- M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore Ravens)
- NRG Stadium (Houston Texans)
- Soldier Field (Chicago Bears)
- U.S. Bank Stadium (Minnesota Vikings)
The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that the list above only contains 12 stadiums, and the 13th has yet to be announced.
- Check out the latest 5G stocks news for 2019