Following the launch of the new 5G iPhone 12 this week, network operator EE has announced its new ‘Match Day Experience’ features, including the use of augmented reality to improve the viewing experience of sport, available as part of EE’s 5G Full Works Plan for iPhone.
The Match Day Experience will be available from within the BT Sport app, and will be available to new customers subscribing to the Full Works iPhone plan, with the new 5G iPhone 12.
“We continually look for ways to offer customers new and innovative services, allowing them to make the most from their smartphone,” said Marc Allera, chief executive of BT’s consumer division. “Our new Match Day Experience features will provide an amazing array of ways to enhance their sports viewing – over the UK’s number one network for 5G.
“They can now watch the action live with their mates thanks to integrated video chat. Get closer to the game with the best ever 360 degree views, and view real-time stats and graphics projected on the pitch and around each player with Manager Mode. What’s more - only with us can they also get up-close and personal, with advanced Match Day Live AR features – ensuring that when they’re out and about, they can always get the best seats in the house.”
Taking control of sports viewing with 5G
The new features will enable customers to take control of their own viewing experience, with features that include an interactive timeline and multi-cam replays, and the new features will provide fans with new ways to watch their favourite sports on the go.
“At this moment of social distancing and crowd-less stadia, Match Day Experience gets fans closer than ever to the sports they love,” said Rio Ferdinand, a BT Sport pundit and former Manchester United and England captain. “The features build on what is already the best sports App anywhere and will enable EE customers to enjoy the most immersive sports broadcasts seen to date.”
Match Day Experience features include:
- Watch Together - a new social innovation, allowing fans to watch, see and chat with three other friends, alongside any BT Sport broadcast, thanks to a split-screen interface.
- 360 – Viewers get the chance to select different camera angles and viewpoints, not normally seen in broadcast. 360 provides a completely different viewing experience from the usual fixed-camera positions, allowing viewers to look around in a 360-degrees. And new “pinch and zoom” functionality enables fans to home in on specific areas.
- Match Day Live – EE 5G customers can access team line-ups, formations and in-game stats via an augmented reality interface, from wherever they are watching the action.
- Manager Mode – EE customers have the choice of adding real-time graphics as part of the match coverage, augmented onto the pitch. This information will include player stats, player tracking, as well as names, speeds info, and more.
Customers taking out an exclusive new EE Full Works Plan for iPhone between 16th October 2020 to 15th January 2021 will get 24 months of the BT Sport App, with new Match Day Experience features, as part of their plan.
- The best 5G networks in the UK and US
- Why 5G small cells are vital for mmWave 5G
- Millimeter wave: the secret sauce behind 5G
- Get updates on the hottest 5G stocks
- We reveal the latest 5G use cases
- Discover the truth behind 5G dangers
- 5G towers: everything you need to know